Guide to root Nexus 6P – Nexus 6P is the ultimate android smartphone which is launched by Google and manufactured by Huawei. If you want to use an android device which comes packed with powerful hardware, full metal body and an amazing design then you need to try the Nexus 6P. Nexus 6P is in fact the first smartphone of the world which comes with Android Marshmallow out of the box. As you get the latest android operating system, you will be able to enjoy all features of android marshmallow in Nexus 6P.
We all know that Nexus 6P comes with very powerful hardware and in order to get the best out of the hardware of the Nexus 6P you have to get root access on it. Today we are going to tell you how to root Nexus 6P android device. You just have to install TWRP recovery on Nexus 6P and then get root access on the smartphone. The guide which we have mentioned below will help you in achieving it.
Disclaimer: We at Shoutingtech are not responsible if any damage happens to your device. Your Android device might get bricked, SD cards might get corrupted or damaged during the flashing process. You are following this tutorial at your own risk.
Make sure the below mentioned things are fulfilled before you start the flashing process on your smartphone.
- Check battery level of your android device. It should be at least 80% of more.
- Make a full backup of your smartphone. Follow the guides mentioned below to take backup of Nexus 6P.
Create backup of contacts, SMS and apps using Titanium Backup
Create backup of all apps on Android apps (No Root required)
Create backup of SMS of Android device
- You have to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools on your computer/laptop. Find out how to download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools.
- USB Debugging has to be enabled. Follow the easy guide to enable USB debugging on Nexus 6P.
- Make sure that you have unlock bootloader of Nexus 6P. If not, you can follow the guide to unlock bootloader of Nexus 6P.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Nexus 6P
Follow the step by step guide shared below to install TWRP Recovery on Nexus 6P.
- Copy and rename the downloaded TWRP recovery in the folder where Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools are installed. You will find these tools in Program Files of your C drive. Rename it with file name img.
- Once the files are copied, open command window. To open command window all you have to do is press Shift key + right mouse button. From the list of options displayed, you have to select Open Command Window here.
- Next is switching off your Nexus 6P. Enter Fastboot menu by pressing Power + Volume Up Once you are in fastboot menu, connect your smartphone with your PC.
- Now you have to enter the command mentioned below which will help you to flash TWRP recovery on Nexus 6P.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- TWRP Recovery will be flashed on your smartphone. Once flashed, you have to reboot to bootloader menu by select Reboot bootloader.
How to root Nexus 6P (Systemless)
Now that you have installed TWRP recovery, you are ready to root Nexus 6P. We are not going to flash any modified boot image in order to get root access as the superSU file which we will be flashing will automatically flash modified boot image. Follow the steps shared below to root Nexus 6P.
- Connect your Nexus 6P with your computer and copy the downloaded SuperSU file in your system.
- Disconnect your device and enter recovery mode on Nexus 6P. To enter recovery mode pressVolume + Power Down button.
- You will enter TWRP Recovery menu on your smartphone. Locate the copied SuperSU file and flash it. To flash the file you just have to swipe on the bottom of the screen.
- Once flashed, wipe system/dalvik cache and then reboot your device.
Once rebooted you will see Super User installed on your smartphone which means your device is rooted. This is how you can root Nexus 6P smartphone and install TWRP recovery on it.