Nexus 5 by LG was a great smartphone and is still considered as one of the best Nexus smartphones which are ever designed by Google. LG has recently launched the upgraded version of the device, Nexus 5X. Nexus 5X comes with new hardware improvements and the latest android operating system i.e. Android Marshmallow out of the box. This android smartphone comes with a 5.2-inch display screen which is IPS LCD display delivering resolution of 1080 X 1920 pixels. As Nexus devices are always known for powerful hardware, you get the same in Nexus 5X too. Under the hood of this android device is a powerful quad core Snapdragon 808 chipset processor clocked at 1.82 Ghz with 2 GB RAM. You can buy Nexus 5X from Amazon and Flipkart at the best prices.
Some time ago we shared the guide to unlock bootloader of Nexus 5X. If you know about rooting of android smartphones and tablets you might very well know that the bootloader of devices should be unlocked if you wish to gain root access on them. If your Nexus 5X smartphone is already unlocked, you can follow the easy step by step guide shared below where we show you how to root Nexus 5X.
- Save all the data which is present on your Nexus 5X android device. You can take help of the guides which we have shared below as they will help you to create backup of Nexus 5X.
Create backup of contacts, SMS and apps using Titanium Backup
Create backup of all apps on Android apps (No Root required)
Create backup of SMS of Android device
- It is important to check the battery level. Before starting the flashing process check and see if your smartphone is having more than 80% of battery in it.
- Enable USB debugging on your smartphone. Check this video to enable USB debugging on Nexus 5X.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools should be installed on your computer. The guide will help you to download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Your device should be unlocked. Follow the step by step guide shared below to unlock bootloader of Nexus 5X.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Nexus 5X
Before we share the root guide, we have to make sure that a custom recovery is installed on our device. Follow the steps shared below to install TWRP recovery on Nexus 5X.
- Place the downloaded TWRP recovery file in Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools directory.
- Enter bootloader menu by switching off your smartphone and then turning it back on by pressingVolume + Power up Now connect your Nexus 5X with your computer.
- Now you have to open command window from the same location where you have copied TWRP recovery. To open Command window, press the Shift Key + Right mouse button and then select open command window
- Once you see command window on your computer screen enter the command which is written below.
fastboot flash recovery (filename).img
Rename filename with the actual name of the TWRP recovery file.
- Hit Enter key and TWRP recovery will be flashed on your computer.
How to root Nexus 5X
Once you have installed TWRP recovery you are ready to flash the SuperSU file and gain root access. As Nexus 5X comes with Android Marshmallow, we need to flash a modified boot image first.
- Copy the modified boot image in the Minimal Fastboot and ADB Tools directory. Also copy Super SU in internal storage of your Nexus 5X.
- Now enter the bootloader menu of your smartphone just like you did before.
- Go to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools folder and open command window just like you did before.
- Enter below mentioned command to flash modified boot image.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After the modified boot image is flashed, reboot your device and enter recovery menu. To enter the recovery menu press Volume Down + Power button
- Now go to Install and select the SuperSU file and then select Swipe to Flash.
SuperSU will be flashed on your computer. This is one of the easiest and safest methods which you can follow to root Nexus 5X.